Friday, March 1, 2024

New Month, New Challenges

March is here once again. The ground hog's prediction for spring to come early is definitely coming true in Northern Virginia. The cherry blossom peak time for showcasing the white and pink bouquet of colors starts on March 23rd. Of course, this doesn't quite connect with our community's Potomac cruise to see the cherry blossoms on April 4th. So we won't see what nature offers in prime time but I will have a chance to take photos and enjoy the beauty of a lazy cruise ride and lunch. 

As I said last Tuesday in my Sneak Peek blog post, "It's time to take a peek at what will be during March's slice of life spree." But before I do that, I pause to step back to 2015 when I signed up for the Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Challenge. I am sure that you will get the picture of what happened during March back then. Yes, it was heavily snowing on Long Island, NY where I used to live. 


One goal this March will be to look into the past while being in the present. Photos and digital designs will inspire me to write heartnotes to nature, family, and friends. In case, you missed my ramblings about heartnotes click here. In my sneak peek post, the last stanza of my poem stated that I would be ready to share my theme today. Heartnotes it is! There will be small deliveries from my heart to my readership each day that I write.  You will find memes, nature photos, digital designs, and perhaps more family photos. All will be wrapped in poetry as a prelude to National Poetry Month in April. 

What is a heartnote?  See the above package and imagine this.

Fly across an indigo sky with me this March in search of mystical beauty or take a nature walk as I snap photos. Whatever delight there is outdoors this month, I desire to capture it. This past month, I spent most of my time indoors recuperating from a respiratory/sinus infection that does not want to remove itself from me. Perhaps, you will create your own heartnote and send it to me to showcase. We'll see what nature and life will offer. My notebook is ready.

📓
Now, it is time to kiss the stars goodnight. I thank Laura Shovan for her fun 12th Annual February Poetry Project that she hosted. While I did not feel up to writing each day, I added several new drafts to my notebook. The game was on and all the players brought their best game plan in the form of a poem to Facebook. You probably guessed that the theme was about games. Each day, prompts were posted by different poets, and poems were created by each member. On my day of posting a prompt, I shared this. "Your mission today, should you choose to play, has to do with childhood playtime. Think back to the era when you were a child." I had fun that day reading all the poems that were written. 

Here is one poem that I never had a chance to unveil. It was based on a memory of a college friend who did travel to Woodstock and The Who's famous hit song, The Pinball Wizard. I found out that The Who were at  Woodstock singing in 1969. Years later, I saw the Tommy rock musical on Broadway with friends. This is what I created about The Who at Woodstock.

 

I am celebrating the beginning of the March Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Challenge and the Poetry Friday Roundup hosted by my dear, long-distance friend, Linda Baie. Linda is sharing her acrostic poem, "Choice". Click here to read her acrostic poem that features questions for us to ponder. Then hop over to the Two Writing Teachers' community website for opening posts from around the globe. 

I look forward to reading blog posts throughout the weekend. 
-Carol Varsalona, 10-year Slicer, Poet

Happy March 2024!

17 comments:

  1. "When life becomes heavy" are the perfect words for that photograph, Carol! Looking forward to reading your SOL entries. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, the wheeping tree photo laden with snow invited me to write an inspirational image poem for it. I think I would like to try a persona poem from the tree's perspective now.

      Delete
  2. I started blogging on SOL long ago, Carol, will at least try to read some of your posts, always so full of heart! I finally stopped, just can't find the time, but I loved it when I did participate. Happy March writing to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, this year I joined but like Laura's challenge in February, I will write when I can. Several of the 10 year veterans are feeling the same way..I remember when I felt totally committed to posting daily. Thanks for making this Roundup filled with your thoughts on choice.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of Heartnotes and am looking forward to your beautiful photographs. I am hoping to blog every day, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I am not sure if I will be able to blog daily but I am going to try. I am trying to get over a month of a respiratory/sinus infection. The meds have made me very tired and cause some other issues. Thanks for joining me. Tomorrow, we are meeting up with relatives who are in DC for a convention so my time is limited but I hope to have one wee heartnote to post.

      Delete
  4. Heartnotes as a theme sounds beautiful. Looking forward to your slices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ready to visit your slices, Terje. I look forward to reading what you plan to share with TWT.

      Delete
  5. Carol, March is the perfect month to get outside and observe the wonders of nature. So much goes on during this month from the change of seasons to new life bursting forth from the ground. I look forward to your nature offerings throughout the month. Heartnotes - a perfect way to share the beauty of March. Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I was about to read your slice when I fell asleep for a while. I think this lingering cough is taking more zest out of me than I expected. Tomorrow, we go into DC to meet relatives who are attending a conference. It might rain for the day but I hope to capture a photo or two. Now, I will stroll over to your slice. Happy slicing this month. See you soon.

      Delete
  6. Some wonderful reminiscing Carol. Like you I participated in the SOL story challenge for ten years. It introduced me to writers from all round the world, gave me a treasure trove of stories and made me more disciplined as a writer when it came to deadlines. Enjoyed your poem about The Who at Woodstock. It evoked memories. My very first concert was seeing The Who in Melbourne. They were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heartnotes, what a lovely theme as you pause to ponder the past and present. Thanks for a lovely post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, nice theme. I will look forward to seeing more of it this month. I really like your Who playing at Woodstock poem. It's very different from your usual poems, so it was extra special today. I love the description of the music "stretching the sky"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are feeling better every day, Carol. Each March I remember fondly my years participating in SOL and what joy it brought. It led me to other writing adventures, like Poetry Friday, and I finally decided I had to give something up. I will stop by from time to time to read, though.
    Love "Awestruck Wonder" by the way - brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a chapbook (hint, hint) of heartnotes sounds amazing! What a lovely, lovely theme. And, to think of waking up to The Who at 5 am. Ack! How crazy, right? But, there they were. I also think a collection of poems about Woodstock is a great idea. Oh, I'm so good at thinking about what someone ELSE should do. I need to keep my head down and do my own writing! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I am in love with the Elfchen poem format. Hmm! I have been thinking about a writing a book for quite a while now. I also was thinking about the Highlights Workshop but am not sure if it will conflict with a family vacation with the grandgirls and family. Thank you for being so thoughtful.

      Delete
  11. "when life becomes heavy/breathe in fresh air" YES!!!! Doesn't that make everything just a little bit better? Thank you for sharing. I'm so ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete