Tuesday, March 19, 2024

St. Paddy's Day Cookie Humor

Sometimes, two words sound alike but their meanings are so different. Sometimes, my 4-year-old grandgirl likes to be silly as in yesterday's Wearing of the Green Slice of LifeThinking that she was being silly during the recent cookie-making experience, I misunderstood what she said. 

"Grandma, where is the likker?

Looking puzzled, I turned to the baking area and spotted the Creme de Menthe bottle I used to make the green frosting for the cookies."

"Oh, no. She spotted the bottle? How did she know that word, liquor? I said to my son, who was also puzzled by the repetion of the first question.

I paused, then questioned her, "What are you talking about, Aurora?

"Grandma, I said, where is the likker?"  

Click! The light bulb went on for me.

 "Aurora, did you mean this mixing piece that we used to make the cookies?

 "Yes."  

The mystery was solved. My son and I were relieved. Aurora smiled in between licks of leftover cookie dough.        

misunderstanding
comical assumption
on Grandma's part
toddler baker unaware of
wordplay
©CVarsalona, March 2024
-draft- Elfchen poem

Out of the Mouths of Babes -


Take a Bite. It's good!


Thank you, Two Writing Teachers for offering a Writing Challenge during March.
Slice of Life Day 19.

8 comments:

  1. This is adorable! When my kids were younger I was amazed at words they knew. I always asked them where they learned some of their words. Their minds soak everything in.
    Looks like a successful, and yummy, cookie baking session, with or without the "likker."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice G., thanks for stopping by and commenting on my slice. I ask my almost-7 grandgirl where she learned the words she uses, She is really into learning "new big" words and is a fluent reader at this young age.

      Delete
  2. What a cute story! "Likker" is cute in itself, but the added layer of misunderstanding adds even more fun to the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha, thanks for enjoying my slice. It was too funny in real tine so I had to write this slice. My son belongs to a comedy club and said he would like to share Aurora's thoughts in one of his comedy sketches.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet, fun story. Out of the mouths of babes, indeed. So much fun to hear language developing. Those funny words become silly family words sometimes and sometimes they just slip away. Writing lets us save them and the good memory for sure. And allows us to share them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, thanks for commenting today and elaborating on my slice. It is fun to have the grandgirls over and watch them develop their language skills.

      Delete
  4. Carol, an innocent question misconstrued by misunderstanding. I can imagine the quizzical looks you and your son gave each other. Totally cute story. Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanls for you comment, Bob. We call Aurora the wild middle child so anything is possible with her. We have to watch her every minute.

      Delete