Friday, October 10, 2014

Poetry Friday on The Variety of Words to Craft a Poem


When the editor of O (the Oprah Magazine) asked Maya Angelou on how to write a poem she replied, “Like a pianist runs her fingers over the keys, I’ll search my mind for what to say." Maya Angelou was a gifted and prolific writer who continues to inspire me to refine every thought I craftHer words remind me that our fingers are the tools of a voice that calls us to compose. Some days there is a snippet of inspiration to move the spirit. Other days there is the constant revision of words churning and being refined and then there are the days when words don't hit the right note. 

Read Elinor Wylie's thoughts on the many varieties of crafted words.

Pretty Words by Elinor Wylie
Poets make pets of pretty, docile words:
I love smooth words, like gold-enamelled fish
Which circle slowly with a silken swish,
And tender ones, like downy-feathred birds:
Words shy and dappled, deep-eyed deer in herds,
Come to my hand, and playful if I wish,
Or purring softly at a silver dish,
Blue Persian kittens fed on cream and curds.

I love bright words, words up and singing early;
Words that are luminous in the dark, and sing;
Warm lazy words, white cattle under trees;
I love words opalescent, cool, and pearly,
Like midsummer moths, and honied words like bees,
Gilded and sticky, with a little sting.


elinor_wylie.jpg
Elinor Wylie

Enjoy crafting thoughts this season in hopes of finding fall on a bright autumn day. 
I added a new poem about finding fall. It can be viewed here. Comments are welcomed.



Each Friday, different poets open their sites to host a variety of writers who celebrate the love of poetry. This week's Poetry Friday is hosted by Tricia Stohr-Hunt. Please stroll over to Tricia's site, The Miss Rumphius Effect

No comments:

Post a Comment