Thursday, March 2, 2017

March Musings 2: Connection


The most basic and powerful way to connect to another person is to listen. Just listen. Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention...A loving silence often has far more power to heal and to connect than the most well-intentioned words.                            -Rachel Naomi Remen

I chose the word listen as my one word a couple of years ago. It served me well but I must admit that I need to revisit this word often. Doraine Bennett, today's host of Spiritual Journey first Thursday, chose the word connection. I pause to savor a simple practice of reflection on these words, plus Leigh Anne Eck's OLW, rise and my 2017 OLW, joy.

I connect to the stillness of midday quiet.
As one heart searching for balance,
I visualize meandering down an uneven trail,
listening to the silence of hushed pathways.
Wisdom echoes through the stillness.
Stories rise from undisturbed corners.
Speechless sounds are muffled as
I savor the time to reflect alone. 
The mind recognizes the breath from within,
filling the the room with a spirit of peace.
©CVarsalona, 2017 

Yesterday, I opened the door to new journeys for the month of March: Two Writing Teachers' March Slice of Life Story Challenge and the season of Lent. The Lenten journey asks us to listen, to connect with those whose hearts need mending, and to share the spirit of energetic giving. If I can stitch a quilt of comfort to share each day, then perhaps the road to making connections with life, faith, and others may not be as uneven as I think. 
Joy is the reward.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

You can visit Spiritual Journey first Thursday at Doraine Bennett's site

This post is the second in a series titled March Musings for Two Writing Teachers' March Slice of Life Challenge


No comments:

Post a Comment