Friday, March 27, 2020

Remembering a Childhood Game_PoetryFriday/SOLCS 27

Digging deep into my childhood, I found a fond memory that I had forgotten. My early elementary grade years were filled with game playing. Those were the days when my friends and I used our imagination to create playful times. "Stone Teacher" was one of our favorite outside summer pastimes.

On a clear summer night
before stars fill the sky,
a little teacher gathers
one flat stone. Why?
"Come, children, please
sit on the steps. Guess
which hand has a stone
before our first recess."
Giggles float through
the summer breeze.
"Stone teacher,
pick me please." 
Students guess 
one by one
hoping to have
some summer fun.
Winner takes all,
stones and fame-
becomes the next
teacher of the game.
©CV, 2020

The above poem is offered to Michelle H. Barnes for the Ditty of the Month Challenge created by poet Tabatha Yeatts, host of Poetry Friday this week. Tabatha asked those interested in the challenge to write a poem about people and a game.


Each year since March 2015, I have engaged in Two Writing Teacher's Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. Slicing allows me to ponder life, literacy, and learning, capturing small moments poetically through writing, photography, and digital art. Welcome to Day 27 of 31 days of writing with Two Writing Teachers. 






SPECIAL POETRY MONTH INVITATION:

I am planning a kickoff to National Poetry Month celebration on April 6, 2020 #NYEDChat Twitter chat from 8-8:30pmEST. It is a fast chat with 3 questions and 1 Reflaction (reflection with action steps). If you are interested in being 1 of 4 poets to guest moderate with me, please let me know as soon as possible. The topic, Poetry Nurtures the Soul, may be one that brings a ray of sunshine during trying times. 

23 comments:

  1. This post made me think back to all the creative games that my brothers and neighborhood friends would make up. What a fun time! I hope my students are taking advantage of this time to use their imaginations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, someone asked me when I first thought about being a teacher. I totally forgot that it was way back when as a child with games like this and setting up an easel and classroom in my basement during summer days. Children need to tap into their imagination to create and problem solve during #QuarantineLife.

      Delete
  2. Carol! I actually managed to take away the walls that kept me from your posts! Hooray! This is a wonderful poem/memory, new to me, and I love the picture you've painted for us. Best wishes this hard time to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I always love receiving your comments. It feels like we are talking like normal again. We are in lockdown mode. The boardwalk closed this morning so no more walks by the beach until the ban is lifted. Neighborhood walks work thought. The sun is shining and so that makes me happy. We are waiting to hear the Governor make is daily speech and just got a message that the Pope is saying a special prayer for all that will be on TV at 1. Be safe. Stay well.

      Delete
    2. We also have added restrictions. I am sorry about your missing the beach walks. I always love the pictures you share! Enjoy what you can. I am thankful for your governor!

      Delete
  3. How sweet and wonderful. I have a similar game from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your poem on Michelle's padlet and thought how interesting that similar games had different names. I enjoyed reading your game and other poems. This week I have been immersed in #QuarantineLife poems I created to pass the time. Shut in time is very isolating.

      Delete
  4. Made up games are the best kind! Why am I not surprised you liked to play school as a little girl? I did too. :) Thanks for turning your fun summer memory into a poem, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. School day games were so much fun back when I grew up. They ranked high among marbles, hopscotch, and jumprope. I tried to look up Stone Teacher and I did not find it. That must mean it was specific to my area maybe. Not sure. Anyways, thank you for sharing my work.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Jama and preparing a 2020 National Poetry Month Calendar of Activities. I will send you my activities.

      Delete
  6. Love the rock face you found to illustrate your poem. Or maybe you created it? I've never heard of this game. Loved this line:
    " Giggles float through
    the summer breeze."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strangest things happen on the internet lately. I write and whoosh, the response disappears. I did reply to you but here it goes again. I did not create the rock, Ramona. It was a free digital on Pixabay that fit just right. Maybe Stone Teacher was particular to my region or city when I was a child. I just thought everyone knew the game. We did do a lot of giggling, laughing, and having fun on summer afternoons and night when we were little. We could play for hours.

      Delete
  7. Carol,
    Great memory of your childhood, and delightfully shared in verse. Stay safe and enjoy the solitude. I'm sure your poems help. April will be a great month. I'm excited to try to follow along with poetry month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, poems help me through the gray days and the tension. My toddler granddaughter spent some time with me on Zoom and that was the best #quarentainment ever. We talked, engaged in read alouds, and just had fun. Stay safe also.

      Delete
  8. I don't know this game, but I did make a family of rock dogs that I played with lots. I think I still have them in a box downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a lovely poem and memory. I can see the children and hear their giggles as they gather round the stone teacher. I wonder what memories our children today will have of games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, you bring up an interesting questions. Will the quarantine bring back old board games we know or just increase the needs for video games? Stay well.

      Delete
  10. Hi, Carol. What a cool poem -- it introduced me to a sweet game of childhood that I haven't heard of before. Thanks for sharing the photograph too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Laura. Childhood and not a care seems so long ago.

      Delete
  11. Sweet memory, Carol! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete