Monday, March 23, 2020

Week 2 of Crisis_SOLSC 23

Questions! Thoughts! Anxieties! Week 2 of "Quarantine Life" continues. Gray skies open to a flood of silent raindrop tears. No one is outside. Rain pours incessantly. A raw chill exists in the air while only a few birds scurry in and out of trees. Edginess is indoors. 

I turn to writing as a cathartic measure to express my thoughts. Gustave Flaubert's statement comes to mind reminding me to uncover what is inside. "The art of writing is the art of discovering what you believe."

When I invited Barbara Bray to be my guest moderator at #NYEDChat leading a conversation on the Why of Our Journey, I did not know that countries around the globe would be infected by the coronavirus. I did not know that we would be facing concepts like social distancing and mantras like "Shelter in Place". While we are treading in uncertain waters distancing ourselves from other humans, we need to connect.

Writing communities like Two Writing Teachers join together to reflect, write, and respond to one another on a daily basis. This is a positive move that has had beneficial effects. The community shares a culture of trust. Everyone freely exchanges thoughts. Lives touch lives in a virtual world. "We-ness" exists here. 

Tonight, I am hoping to bring people together around the globe to connect, to discover what we believe as we Define the Why of Our Journey. Perhaps now it is more important to gather online to raise our voice. As Barbara Bray says, "All of us have a backstory. Our lives are so much more than this moment with Covid-19 and school closures. How do you think your backstory impacted you so you became who are today? What qualities standout that are helping during this crisis?" This is just one question that we will explore tonight. If you are interested, please join me at 8:00 p.m. EST on Twitter for a half-hour conversation. You will find a flyer about this chat on social media  If you are unable to join in, you can leave me a response, if interested.

May we all find answers to the questions that baffle us during Quarantine Life and share our inner thoughts.


Each year since March 2015, I have engaged in Two Writing Teacher's Annual Slice of Life Story Challenge. Slicing allows me to ponder life, literacy, and learning, capturing small moments poetically through writing, photography, and digital art. Welcome to Day 22 of 31 days of writing with Two Writing Teachers. 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, even though we isolate ourselves we can't be isolated. We need the human connection to keep sane and know that we are not in this alone. Humans, after all, are social creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are social creatures and so tonight I am heading into several Twitter chats including the one I am moderating. If you are on Twitter, I would love if you added your voice to the conversation.

      Delete
  2. I never took the Twitter plunge. I keep saying I am going to check it out but never took the plunge. I think I need to get with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you want to take the Twitter plunge, ket me know. I would love to be your guide.

      Delete
  3. Answers to the questions that baffle us and a chance to share inner thoughts. Sorry I missed your chat. Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, I have two options for you if interested. I archived the chat. You can read the short blurb at the top of the Wakelet at https://wakelet.com/i/invite?code=5864a0d or wait for my follow-up slice: a crowdsourcing poem based on the 300 tweets. I am having fun creating it.

      Delete