Thursday, March 30, 2023

Beautiful Change

"Spring is a reminder of how beautiful change can truly be."
-unknown author

This Wednesday, Margaret Simon, posted a beautiful rainbow collage collection, Lake Fausse Pointe trail photo that she photographed (see below). You can also see Margaret's draft poem here. She asked those interested to write a small poem and post it on her blog, This Photo Wants to be a Photo.

I started writing #smallpoems to match Margaret's photo with the quick write below.

Photo by Margaret Simon

A Seasonal Unveiling

spring quietly flowered
rainbow colors adorned trails
winter stepped back
new arrivals made their way
©CV, 2023, quick write, small poem

Then, I decided to write etherees for this month's writing challenge from the Poetry Princesses. This ten-line form begins with a single syllable, and each line expands by one syllable until the tenth line has ten. The Poetry Princesses continued with their 2023 theme of transformation. You can find written etherees from the Poetry Sisters and others at Tanita Davis' blog site: fiction, instead of lies!}. They will also be on social media under the hashtag, #PoetrySisters.

Spring
flowered
gracing earth's
well-trodden path.
Winter sighed, stepped back, 
gently passed its baton, 
urging seasonal changes. 
Windsong breathed in freshness; exhaled
softly tossing nature's artifacts.
Spring smiled and prepared to awaken life.
©CV, 2023, etheree poem

I also wrote a modified etheree for last week's Poetry Friday & 16th Annual March #SOLSC! #SOL23 Day 23. You can access that here. I planned on refining it but I never found the time to do so.

Spring is a season of renewal and hope. May springtime 2023  open doors to new possibilities.
**********************

It's time to join Poetry Friday RoundupThank you author/poet/educator, Mary Lee Hahn, for hosting Poetry Friday this week. Click here.

Logo by Linda Mitchell

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for providing a meeting place for reflective writers around the globe. I am offering this slice for Day 30 of the 16th Annual SOLSC! #SOL23 March Writing Challenge.


28 comments:

  1. Spring flowered… winter stepped aside! Love that! Gotta remember the etheree… I like to try different forms.
    Diane Anderson (newtreemom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, we are at the end of the SOLSC! journey. There were some days in early March that I could not find time to write. My grandgirls were with me and I needed to fill up there days with activity and food. Otherwise, I kept writing. Happy start to NPM month.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of "winter sighed", Carol. We may still have it step in a bit but hoping not to center stage! Margaret's photo is so beautiful, as is your first poem. We have a little green here, not much else yet! Happy April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, when growing up in Central NY, we could not be certain if Winter would become an interloper during springtime. Here's hoping your green turns to a colorful spring with oodles of color. Happy Start to April!

      Delete
  3. Carol, both of your poems beautifully fit Margaret's picture. I am glad that winter has taken a step back, although I know it might still try to take the lead. Spring is stronger at this point and won't take a backseat to winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, of course this is wishful thinking for those still in the snowbelt but we did not have any snow that settled this year, just high winds and COLD temperatures, Bob. Can you believe we are at the end of this writing journey? I hope you join me for NPM. I already have my free poster and am reading to plan an event. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  4. Oh, how LOVELY - Spring personified as she smiles and graciously takes the baton from Winter, who, sighing regret, perhaps? Relief? - makes way for the new Queen.

    Your imagination is just delightful. Thanks for this today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanita, the Poetry Sisters' challenges are always fun and challenging but challenging is good. It stretches my comfort level. Case in point: I was obsessed with finishing this poem so rewrite upon rewrite helped with the flow. The only part that troubled me was the in and out line formation - but then again maybe that was my mind this time.

      Delete
  5. I love reading this after Irene's Summer poem! Like Tanita, I wonder if Winter is tired or relieved to pass the baton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter kept busy this year and if I was Winter I would like to take a break. I now will move over to Irene's blog to read her seasonal poem. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  6. Carol, wonderful poems about the pretty rainbow photo from Margaret.
    In your etheree, my favorite lines are:

    "Windsong breathed in freshness; exhaled
    softly tossing nature's artifacts."
    Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, thanks for joining me.The windsong thoughts came together after my yoga session that focused on the breath. It is amazing how I am more in tune with surroundings. Is it my OLW, "be", that let's me be more focused about life?

      Delete
  7. Both your poems stand as worthy responses to the prompt provided by Margaret, Carol. I like the image of winter stepping back and preparing to pass the baton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. I appreciate your feedback. Winter has certainly stepped back here but not so in other areas so is it spring or winter not letting go in parts of the country. This morning, spring shared her brilliance and warmth. Who can believe that she could twist and send powerful winds our way.

      Delete
  8. "Winter stepped back"--l think I like your original small poem best, Carol, but "softly tossing" is beautiful too. Happy NPM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, thank you for your comments. I wish I knew who you are.

      Delete
  9. Both of those are evocative, Carol. I so love seasonal poems! Winter is NOT gently passing the baton here in MN, though ;>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I'm so sorry that Winter has its own plans in MN. Today, Spring blessed Northern Virginia with bright sunshine and warmth-a beautiful gift that I want to write about.

      Delete
  10. "Winter stepped back" is brilliant. I love that line. You know what? Rainbow trails suit Margaret and you. You both seek the positive and write about it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thanks for joining me here. Wasn't Spring delicious today (Saturday)? Her winds are kicking up now in Gainesville. I am excited that this month is NPM and I am trying to bring my thoughts in focus. Happy Spring!

      Delete
  11. I loved the way you used etheree to tell a story. Beautiful baton pass. (And I'm ready for spring!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I hope spring is providing you with joy. We have beautiful, sunshiny weather that we have enjoyed. A storm is coming but not a winter one. April showers with a force will be on its way. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. I love this title! "A Seasonal Unveiling" That is what it feels like this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And what will be the next chapter in the seasonal unveiling, Anastasia? Here, in Virginia we have experienced beautiful sunny and warm days. Now we are expecting an April rainstorm.

      Delete
  13. Winter sighed and spring smiled...I love the personifications! Feels like we're all heaving a big sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope that Spring will continue to bring joy. Thanks for joining me here and I apologize for this late comment.

      Delete
  14. I loved the idea of winter stepping back to make way for the spring flowers. Lovely images. I’m sure you are immersed
    in a glorious spring where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is lovely in Virginia. Forceful spring showers are on the way but I can imagine that is a so different in Syracuse right now. See you at this week's PF.

      Delete