Wednesday, March 20, 2019

March Musings '19: Dandelion Dreams

The world brightens today as spring makes its entrance. My mind drifts back to childhood. Dandelions, perky and bright, grew wildly in our lawn. There was something magical about them as they stood upright, bursting with brilliant color. They were mine to pick, carry inside, and offer as a tribute to spring. Another quick thought flashes: Mom laughingly accepting my gift, recalling dandelions being Nonnie's edible treat.  Dandelion dreams dance in my mind as I blow their seeds into a stream of indelible memories.  

dandelion roots
brilliant bitter edible-
spring's field of dreams
©CV, 2019

Terje Akke, Estonia, 2018

days of play dance in my mind
springtime memories reveal
wild dandelion dreams
©CV, 2019



Thank you, Linda Baie, for suggesting the topic for Day 20 of Laura Shovan's Poetry Project.

Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature
Linda Baie, 2018 

Day 20 of 31 days of writing
March Slice of Life Story Challenge

11 comments:

  1. Nice poem. I love "wild dandelion dreams"
    One day during summer school the students and I picked dandelions then cooked them. The kids were shocked that we could eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat for stopping by and commenting. I have heard that the dandelions are bitter to the taste. I think that is great that you gave the children a new experience.

      Delete
  2. Marvelous! I love how Nonnie shows up here. And those feathered wisps really are a bit of magic. Don't worry about writing time...any time not writing is "material collection"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I never thought of our outside writing time with the term material collection. That is a good one to place in my notebook. As for feathered wisps, Michelle Kogan created a great drawing of the dandelion leaves prior to them turning into wisps for flight.

      Delete
  3. "spring's field of dreams" lovely image captured in this line Carol! And I like you're" wild dandelion dreams" too, fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to Terje Akke I had a gorgeous visual of a dandelion field. Ideas come from everywhere, don't they? Thank for commenting, Michelle. This topic was such a fun prompt for writing.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout out, Carol. I love each one of these. Ah, those 'feathered wisps'! I love seeing the lawns with dandelions. A friend who keeps bees says they are so important to leave, at least until other flowers bloom, for bees' first spring food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was little we did not have a gardener so the dandelions were plentiful. Now, the gardener comes and unroots most of them but I still find a few to make me feel as though spring is in the air (especially when the feathered wisps travel). I did not know that bee fact so thanks for adding it to my bank of knowledge, Linda. I am so glad that Terje sent me her Estonian field of dandelions to wish upon since I won't see any here.

      Delete
  5. Love this line from your post: "Dandelion dreams dance in my mind as I blow their seeds into a stream of indelible memories." Jack and I saw a few dandelions on our walk today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Ramona. I am visiting Sierra this weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday. Let me see what we notice on a walk.

      Delete
  6. Happy Spring! It's so hard to imagine that dandelions would bloom someday. But they will, no doubt. I am happy for the connection we have across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete