Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Home Builders

In the midst of collecting the Winter Wanderings' Gallery offerings, my thoughts turn to spring when house hunting will be in full swing for all first time home owners. My daughter and son-in-law are among those who are looking for the ideal starter home. 

I remember the trepidations I had when I bought my first home on Long Island. Interest rates back then were at the very high end-17.5% and we had remolding to do. The home was charming, a corner lot with air conditioning and amenities such as a full scale miniature house that was a replica of the main house. Despite my concerns about affordability, we decided to take a leap of faith and bought the house. 

As soon as we purchased the home we started to make it our own, as most first buyers do. Decorating was a priority even though the home was well cared for. I soon realized that each job had to wait its turn. One weekend while antiquing I was fortunate to find a beautiful old framed print, titled "Home Builders" from the artist Bessie Pease Guttmann, for purchase. The print below has graced my home for years.


This close-up shows two different types of home builders 
from the artist's perspective


but the real fine feathered friends in the image below
 look like they have the same idea. 

Photo submitted by Matt Forrest Esenwine

For Day 24 of Laura Shovan's 2016 Found Object Poem Project, 
I wrote the following first draft poem. 

Home Builders

Keys to a new home-
closer look-
a festive spring touch
outside our new front door-
a do it yourself decorating service?

Wait a minute,
did we ask for
shared space with neighbors?

Residency requirement needed immediately.
Whose paying the rent?

Moving day!!!

©Carol Varsalona, 2016 

You can find other poems for Day 24 at Laura Shovan's blog. Please visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment