Thursday, March 4, 2021

March Spirit Wind

Lately, the winds of March have been wild, spirited ones. Yet, there is something interesting about the March winds as they howl and move from a slow chill to a rapid fast sweep. We cannot see the winds but we can listen to meteorologists announce their arrival and see neighborhood lawns and streets strewn with debris. We can feel our hair blow in the wind. 

In the 19th Century, English poet Christina Rossetti wrote a poem, Who Has Seen the Wind?, that asks a question and responds to it.  

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.
This poem speaks to me of my lifestyle now. Fast, spirited winds are rushing through.  My life is filled with turbulence and unbalance stemming from my imminent life move during an unsettling pandemic life. The March winds blow and yet I cannot see them. I can feel the chill but like Rossetti I cannot see the wind, only watch the trees bow down. In this poem Rossetti who was a devout Christian may be comparing the wind to the Spirit of the Dove who permeates nature and leads us onward. I like to think that this is true.

The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.  - John 3:8

With this thought in mind, I honor the rushing winds of March knowing that they are winds of the Spirit of the Dove leading me onward with faith to a new life. I pause, quietly meditate, and continue my walk knowing that I have divine support.

Art by Charlotte Nickel, “Mighty Rushing Wind,” acrylic on canvas

march spirit wind,
with faith on your wings
lift me from the rush of life
to move in an even pattern 
onward to my destination
©CV, 2021, evening poem prayer

I enjoyed listening to Spirit Wind  by David Arkenstone. Perhaps you will too.

Today is a combination blog post.
This month, Margaret Simonthe host of Spiritual Journey Thursday suggested the topic, March Spirit Wind.
Day 4 of Two Writing TeachersMarch SOLSC! #SOL21, March Musings 2021
Proud Member of Two Writing Teachers Community since 2015

19 comments:

  1. Carol - your beautiful prayer-poem speaks to my spirit today, in the asking to be lifted from the rush of life with "faith on your wings." Reminds me of the verse from one of my favorite Psalms, "If I take the wings of the morning..." Beautiful metaphor for the mighty winds of March leading you onward to faith in your new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, thank you for joining me early in the morning. The poem prayer is fueling me for another day of to-dos. The Spirit of the Dove is on my shoulder so I am ready. Your support is an added plus. Without faith I don't know how I would have made it through this year. Have a blessed day.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I have listened to this beautiful Spirit Wind video and feel like I've been on a spirit-cleansing retreat in those snow-capped mountains. I have breathed that freshness and have been awed by the waterfalls and all the beauty here. I'm also fascinated by the discovery of many songs in posts today! Thank you for this.

      Delete
    3. There's that word again-awe. I do like this video and glad that I found it, Fran.

      Delete
  2. I love how your prayer poem makes a circle. I've been talking to my students about the symbol of a circle meaning Mother Earth and the circle of life. This is Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I like your thoughts on my poem prayer being a circle. I did not plan it that way but I see your point of view. I would enjoy seeing what your students do with the symbol of a circle.

      Delete
  3. Ah, yes. The wind. Sometimes it nudges us along, a gentle whisper guiding us. Other times it forcibly pushes us toward the unknown. For something that can't be seen, it makes its presence known. Carol, I love your poem. We have to have faith that we are being guided to a place we are destined to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, it is true that we need faith. I have to believe that this path I am on is where I am destined to be. Packing is tiring-only a few more days left before the movers come.

      Delete
  4. What excellent connections you've made here, Carol. Despite the turbulence and uncertainty, it is clear the Spirit is giving you peace. May you continue to lean into that unfaltering support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britt, yes I like your wish for me to lean into the Spirit of the Dove's unfaltering support.

      Delete
  5. You are amazing, Carol, to be blogging in the middle of all that's happening in your life right now. Loved your evening poem prayer and the "Mighty Rushing Wind" art. March onward with faith, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, the adenaline flows rapidly each day so writing calms me down. My poem prayer will continue to be my evening thought. Thanks for always be so supportive.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful piece of writing today Carol! I loved the slice and love the symbolism you've picked out. There are so many parts of life that can feel like that rushing wind that you can sense but just can't grab onto. You put it to words beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie. I thought long and hard on how to develop this slice from the prompt provided.

      Delete
  7. Spirited winds, indeed! A favorite poem of mine, Carol, and as you'll probably guess, I've already shared it with my Kinder poets. I offer you this response, our current poem of the week. "Winds of March, we welcome you. There is work for you to do! Work and play, and blow all day. Blow the winter cold away!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what your kinder poets created, Christie. May it be added to my Winter's Embrace 2021 Gallery? I would love that!

      Delete
  8. Carol, I'm mesmerized by the video. It's beautiful. I love how the wind in your life hasn't knocked you down...hasn't kept you from moving forward. You are continuing on your journey. You remind me of the Irish blessing, the part "may the wind always be at your back." You seem fierce enough to use the wind for a greater purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, the wind has knocked me down several times but the truth is being down is not the option. I am on autopilot, going from one task to the other. It is not easy but it is important to keep on going. I like that Irish blessing and as for fierce enough-I might say that I have spent a lifetime learning how to be resilient.

      Delete